During the 1990s, the impressive increase of telecommunications market gave incentive to the spread of optical devices and to the improvements in semiconductor growth technology, allowing a decisive step forward to semiconductor diode laser performances. The availability of new compact, reliable and efficient diode pump modules made easier the rapid growth of DPSSL (Diode Pumped Solid State Lasers) and FL (Fiber Lasers), now representing the state of the art for the industrial market.
The Industrial Photonics group pioneered in Italy the research in this field and it is nowadays a well experienced group in the development of innovative solutions in the field of DPSSL and FL. Pumping schemes, resonator modeling, thermal problems, active and passive Q-switching and mode-locking techniques have been intensively investigated.
In the last few years we especially focussed on:
- study of new Nd and Yb doped materials for ultrashort (picosecond and femtosecond) pulse generation;
- study of new nanostructured saturable absorbers for ultrashort pulse generation;
- study of ultrafast FL and hybrid amplifiers;
- efficient harmonic and parametric generation from UV to FIR
- development of numerical models for laser design optimization;
development of highly customized and extremely complex laser systems within national and international research projects.
In our laboratory, we design and realise microfluidic systems integrating optical and acoustic actuators for biological and rheological applications. In particular, we study the mechanical properties of biological samples and complex materials exploiting optical and acoustic waves. Research themes include:
- study of mechanical properties of single cells using integrated optical strechters
- study of rheological properties of complex materials cell sorting in acoustofluidics-based microchips
- biomedical advanced devices
- Pirzio et al. “Assessment of broad usability of a simple analytic model for passively Q-switched lasers with Cr:YAG saturable absorbers” JOSA B 37 (2020): 1659-1663
- Molteni et al. “Few-optical-cycle pulse generation based on a non-linear fiber compressor pumped by a low-energy Yb:CALGO ultrafast laser” Opt. Express 28 (2020): 13714-13720
- Pirzio et al. “Multi-Watt amplification in a birefringent Yb:LiLuF4 single-crystal-fiber grown by micro-pulling-down” Opt. Lett. 44 (2019): 4095-4098
- R. Negri et al. “Jitter investigation of narrowbandwidth passively Q-Switched Nd:YAG unidirectional ring laser” Opt. Lett. 44 (2019): 3094-3097
- R. Negri et al. “Passively Q-switched single-frequency Nd:YVO4 ring laser with external feedback” Opt. Express 26 (2018): 11903-11908