Role: Full Professor
Ilaria Cristiani is an associate professor in Physics at the University of Pavia and she obtained her PhD in Electronics Engineering and Computer Science from University of Pavia in 1998 in the frame of joint initiative with Pirelli Cables & Systems. She has been active in research related to nonlinear and integrated photonics for over 20 years, during which she has pioneered work on frequency mixing in lithium niobate integrated devices and soliton dynamics in fibres. From 2007, supported by a grant funded by CNISM – CNR she has started a new research activity on integrated optical tweezers and microfluidics.
Currently, she is mainly active on silicon photonics and integrated photonics for life science.
IC is co-author of more than 80 papers (h-index 27) on international journals, one book (Photonics – Springer) and three patents applications.
During her career she coordinated several national research programs funded by MIUR (Italian Ministry for Research and University), Cariplo Foundations and the National Research Council (CNR). She was coordinator for the University of Pavia in the frame of the EU- FP7 project FABULOUS, she participated in several European cooperation research initiatives (FP6-IOLOS, FP7 NISTAS, COST Actions).
She is currently involved in the project Digital Smart Fluidics Hub project funded by Regione Lombardia. and in the SPEye project (funded by INFN, Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare) which is a joint initiative for the development of an artificial retina based on silicon detectors in which she coordinates all the optical characterization activities.
From 2014 to 2019 she was appointed as delegate of the Mayor of the City of Pavia taking care of Innovation, Education and Environment Policies.
At University of Pavia she is in charge of two modules for the Laurea degree in Electronics and Bioengineering (Photonics and Physics), she is member of the Board of the PhD in Electronics, Informatics and Industrial Engineering and of the Board for Research & Quality Assessment of the Department of Electronics, Computer Science and Bioengineering of the University of Pavia.
- Integrated optics
- Nonlinear optics and complex media
- V. Vitali, G. Nava, G. Zanchetta, F. Bragheri, A, Crespi, R. Osellame, T. Bellini, I. Cristiani, P. Minzioni, Integrated Optofluidic Chip for Oscillatory Microrheology, Scientific Reports, 10, 1, 2020.
- G. Nava, T. Yang, V. Vitali, P. Minzioni, I. Cristiani, F. Bragheri, R. Osellame, L. Bethge, S. Klussmann, E.M. Paraboschi, R. Asseltafg, T. Bellini “Newtonian to non-Newtonian fluid transition of a model transient network” Soft Matter; Vol.14, 17, 2018
- R. Marchetti, V. Vitali, C. Lacava, I. Cristiani, G. Giuliani, V. Muffato, M. Fournier, S. Abrate, R. Gaudino, E. Temporiti, L. Carroll, P. Minzioni, “Low-Loss Micro-Resonator Filters Fabricated in Silicon by CMOS-Compatible Lithographic Techniques: Design and Characterization” MDPI Applied Sciences, 7, 174, 2017
- R. Marchetti, V. Vitali, C. Lacava, I. Cristiani, B. Charbonnier, V. Muffato, M. Fournier, P. Minzioni, “Group-velocity dispersion in SOI-based channel waveguides with reduced-height” Optics Express, 25, 9761, 2017
- R. Marchetti, C. Lacava, A. Khokhar, X. Chen, I. Cristiani, D.J. Richardson, G.T. Reed, P. Petropoulos, P. Minzioni, “High-efficiency grating-couplers: demonstration of a new design strategy” Scientific Reports, 7, 16670, 2017.
- T. Yang, F. Bragheri, G. Nava, I. Chiodi, C. Mondello, R. Osellame, K. Berg-Sørensen, I. Cristiani, P. Minzioni “A comprehensive strategy for the analysis of acoustic compressibility and optical deformability on single cells” Scientific Reports, 6, 23946, 2016.
- C. Lacava, M.A. Ettabib, I. Cristiani, J.M. Fedeli, D.J. Richardson, P. Petropoulos, “Ultra-Compact Amorphous Silicon Waveguide for Wavelength Conversion” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 28, 410, 2016.
- T. Yang, P. Paiè, G. Nava, F. Bragheri, R. Martinez Vazquez, P. Minzioni, M. Veglione, M. Di Tano, C. Mondello, R. Osellame, I. Cristiani, “An integrated optofluidic device for single-cell sorting driven by mechanical properties”, Lab on a Chip, 15, 5, 1262, 2015.
- A. Bozzola, L. Carroll, D. Gerace, I. Cristiani, L.C. Andreani, “Optimising apodized grating couplers in a pure SOI platform to-0.5 dB coupling efficiency” Optics Express, 23, 16289, 2015.
- M.J. Strain, C. Lacava, L. Meriggi, I. Cristiani, M. Sorel, “Tunable Q-factor silicon microring resonators for ultra-low power parametric processes”, Optics Letters, 40, 7, 1274, 2015.
- L. Carroll, D. Gerace, I. Cristiani, L.C. Andreani ‘Optimizing polarization-diversity couplers for Si-photonics: reaching the -1dB coupling efficiency threshold’ Optics Express, 22, 14769, 2014.
- C. Lacava, V. Pusino, P. Minzioni, M. Sorel, I. Cristiani “Nonlinear properties of AlGaAs waveguides in CW operation regime” Optics Express, 22, 5291, 2014.
- C. Lacava, M.J. Strain, P. Minzioni, I.Cristiani, M. Sorel ‘Integrated nonlinear Mach Zehnder for 40 Gbit/s all-optical switching’ Optics Express, 21, 21587, 2013
- C. Lacava, P. Minzioni, E. Baldini, L. Tartara, J.M. Fedeli, I. Cristiani, ‘Nonlinear characterization of hydrogenated amorphous silicon waveguides and analysis of carrier dynamics’, Applied Physics Letters, 103, 21587, 2013
- L. Carroll,D. Gerace,I. Cristiani, S. Menezo, L.C. Andreani ‘Broad parameter optimization of polarization-diversity 2D grating couplers for silicon photonics’, Optics Express, 21, 21556, 2013
- C Liberale , G. Cojoc, F. Bragheri, P. Minzioni, G. Perozziello, R. La Rocca, L. Ferrara, V. Rajamanickam, E. Di Fabrizio, I. Cristiani “Integrated microfluidic device for single-cell trapping and spectroscopy”, Scientific Reports, 3, 1238, 2013
- F. Bragheri, P. Minzioni, R. Vazquez Martinez, N. Bellini, P. Paiè, C. Mondello, R. Ramponi, I. Cristiani, R. Osellame, “Optofluidic integrated cell sorter fabricated by femtosecond lasers”, Lab on a Chip, 12, 3779-3784, 2012.
- A.Trita, C. Lacava, P. Minzioni, J.-P. Colonna, P. Gautier, J.-M. Fedeli, I. Cristiani, “Ultra-high four wave mixing efficiency in slot waveguides with silicon nanocrystals”, Applied Physics Letters, 99, 191105, 2011
- N. Bellini, K.C.Vishnubhatla, F. Bragheri, L. Ferrara, P. Minzioni, R. Ramponi, I. Cristiani, R. Osellame “Femtosecond laser fabricated monolithic chip for optical trapping and stretching of single cells” Optics Express, 18, 4679-4688, 2010.
- C.Liberale, P. Minzioni, F. Bragheri, F. De Angelis, E. DiFabrizio, I. Cristiani “Miniaturized all-fibre probe for three-dimensional optical trapping and manipulation”, Nature Photonics, 1, 723-727, 2007.
- L. Razzari, P. Minzioni, I. Cristiani, V. Degiorgio, E.P. Kokanyan, “Photorefractivity of Hafnium-doped congruent lithium-niobate crystals”, Applied Physics Letters, 86, 31914, 2005.
- I.Cristiani, R. Tediosi, L. Tartara, V. Degiorgio, “Dispersive wave generation by solitons in microstructured optical fibers”, Optics Express, 12, 124-135, 2004.
- M. Rini, I. Cristiani, V. Degiorgio, “Numerical modeling and optimisation of cascaded CW Raman fiber lasers”, IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, 36, 1117-1122, 2000.
- I.Cristiani, G.P. Banfi, V. Degiorgio, L. Tartara, “Wavelength shifting of optical pulses through cascaded second-order processes in a lithium-niobate channel waveguide”, Applied Physics Letters, 75, 1198-1200, 1999.
Ilaria Cristiani è attualmente responsabile dei seguenti insegnamenti:
- Fisica 2 (bio-ingegneria)
Siti web corsi: